InfoPrint Manager for AIX Supported DSSs
InfoPrint Manager for AIX supports these DSSs:
- PSF DSS
- The PSF DSS can send jobs to Intelligent Printer Data Stream (IPDS), PCL, or PPDS printers or to upload jobs to the z/OS system. The PSF DSS transforms jobs to IPDS, PCL, PPDS, or AFP before sending them to the output device or destination. The PSF DSS can transform input data and drive printers concurrently, as well as support multiple document formats in the same job. The way a PSF DSS actual destination communicates with the output device or destination and the format of the data it sends to the device or destination depend on the attachment type. As a result, the PSF DSS is the most flexible DSS. For more information, see Understanding attachment types for PSF actual destinations.
- AIX DSS
- The AIX DSS drives printers like the AIX print-spooling subsystem. In standard AIX
printing, users submit jobs to an AIX print queue. The AIX print-spooling subsystem
schedules the jobs and passes them to a printer device by means of a backend program
that is integrated into the AIX print-spooling subsystem, usually piobe, piojetd, lexbe, pioinfo, or piorpdm, and if the queue is a remote queue, rembak.
With the AIX DSS, users submit jobs to an InfoPrint Manager logical destination or queue, and InfoPrint Manager schedules the jobs to an AIX DSS actual destination. The AIX DSS actual destination submits the job to a printer device using one of the AIX backend programs.
For InfoPrint Manager to drive your printer with an AIX DSS, you need to install all the necessary software (driver files) that the AIX print spooling subsystem would need to drive your printer. You do not need to create AIX queues for InfoPrint Manager to drive your printer with an AIX DSS. Unlike most AIX queues, the AIX DSS supports both multiple input data formats and multiple document formats in the same job.
- BSD DSS
- The BSD DSS can be used to invoke any command you want, as long as your command accepts
a file as its last argument and lets you map InfoPrint Manager attributes to command options for your command.
Typically, the BSD DSS uses the rembak program to send jobs to a printer device connected to another processor. This processor can run AIX or any other operating system that supports the lpd protocol and connects to the network using TCP/IP. For remote printer devices, you must set up a remote queue and configure the remote system. See the printer configuration documentation of the remote system.
- InfoPrint 2000 DSS
- InfoPrint Manager for AIX uses the IP2000 DSS to send jobs and communicate with model InfoPrint 2000 printers that do not use IPDS.
- Email DSS
- InfoPrint Manager for AIX uses the email DSS to send jobs as emails to electronic mailing systems. Only one email DSS is supported per InfoPrint Manager server instance.