Installing InfoPrint Select for Windows
- You must have administrative privileges to install InfoPrint Select for Windows.
- If you plan to install one or all of the InfoPrint Manager GUIs as well as InfoPrint Select for Windows, the sequence of the installs is important. Since InfoPrint Select might require a system reboot, you might want to install the InfoPrint Manager GUI(s) first.
- You must adjust the configuration of the InfoPrint Manager server for InfoPrint Select to function properly. See Configuring your InfoPrint Manager server to work with InfoPrint Select.
- If you want to use the LDAP authentication for submitting jobs, you must know your LDAP server settings.
- If you want your InfoPrint Select for Windows to discover the InfoPrint Manager server available in the network, you must add a SRV entry to your DNS server. This
syntax can be used when you configure a BIND (Berkeley Internet Name Domain) DNS server:
srvce.prot.domain-name. ttl class rr priority weight port targetThis section lists the parameters for this syntax:
- This parameter defines the symbolic service name prepended with a _ (underscore), case insensitive. The parameter must be set to _ipm.
- This parameter defines the protocol name prepended with a _ (underscore), case insensitive. The parameter must be set to _tcp.
- This parameter defines the base domain (or zone) name. If you leave this entry blank (without a dot) substitutes the current zone root (the $ORIGIN). You can add it as in the syntax (with a dot).
- This standard parameter is optional.
- This parameter is optional. Standard CLASS parameter. Normally IN for Internet class.
- This parameter defines the SRV RR field.
- This parameter defines the relative priority of this service (range 0 - 65535). Lowest is highest priority.
- This parameter is used when more than one service has the same priority (range 0 - 65535). The value 0 indicates that no weighting should be applied. If the weight is 1 or greater, it is a relative number in which the highest is most frequently delivered.
- This parameter defines the port number assigned to the symbolic service but this is not a requirement. It is possible to define a _ipm service with a port number of 12345 rather than the more normal port 6874 (a pdserver must listen on that port on host that provide this service).
- This parameter defines the name of the host that provides this service. The parameter does not have to be in the same zone (domain). It can be a host name or a FQDN (with a dot).
This is an example for BIND (Berkeley Internet Name Domain) DNS server:
_ipm._tcp.customer.domain-name. IN SRV 0 5 6874 ipmserver.customer.domain-name.
- Other implementations of the DNS (Domain Name System) protocols need the same parameters, but may be entered in different forms.
- If a host name is set in InfoPrint Select, no DNS record discovery is performed.
To install InfoPrint Select on a Windows system from the InfoPrint Manager: Common Clients DVD-ROM:
- Insert the InfoPrint Manager: Common Clients DVD-ROM into the drive.
- Click Install InfoPrint Select client.
- Follow the instructions on the installation screens to install the program.
Note: If you plan to install one or both of the InfoPrint Manager GUIs as well as InfoPrint Select, the sequence of the installations is important. Because InfoPrint Select might require a system reboot, you might want to install the InfoPrint Manager GUIs first.
- Select the job submission authentication method: SSO, LDAP, or FST.
- This authentication method uses Single Sign On Active Directory configuration to set the job owner information. This is the recommended job submission authentication method.
- This authentication method uses a custom LDAP configuration to set the job owner information. You can use this option if you need a specific LDAP attribute set as the job owner information or if you are not using Active Directory.
- This authentication method uses the standard FST information (user@host) to set the job owner information. The user@host information is taken from your local user account.
- Depending on your selection, you must enter the required information:
Enter the host name or IP address of an InfoPrint Manager server, the port number it uses, and the default printer or logical destination you want to print to. The default port number is 6874.