Enhancing AFP files for Postal Enablement
Most AFP files that are submitted to RICOH ProcessDirector need to be enhanced before they can be processed for Postal Enablement.
- If the AFP file does not have page group triggers (which identify the start of each
mail piece in a job) or index tags defined for the mail piece data that you want to
extract, AFP Indexer to add that information. Do these steps:
- Open the AFP file in the RICOH Visual Workbench .
- Select IndexAFP.
- Define the triggers that identify document boundaries.
- Add index tags for the mailing address data that you want to extract.
- Use the Document Property Designer (DPD) mode to link each document property that
your postal software requires to an index tag in the AFP file. Do these steps:
For more information, see the topics related to RICOH Visual Workbench and Document Property Designer.
- Open the AFP file in the RICOH Visual Workbench and select the DPD mode.
- Double-click the document property name at the bottom of the window.
- Supply the requested information in the Define link options dialog.When a document property is linked to an index tag, the value of the document property is the same as the value of the indexed data.
- Save the control file created by
RICOH Visual Workbench
and send it to the RICOH ProcessDirector server in a directory that the RICOH ProcessDirector system user has access to.The control file contains Document Property Designer definitions.Note: When you configure your Postal Enablement workflows, specify the name of the Visual Workbench control file in a step based on the IdentifyDocuments step template.
- Optional: Use the AFP Enhancer mode in
RICOH Visual Workbench
to edit an Enhance AFP control file if you want to:
Four sample Enhance AFP control files in the
- Create a barcode with the updated mailing address data returned by the postal software.
- Replace the original mailing address data with updated data returned by the postal software.
- Hide areas that contain unwanted content.
/aiw/aiw1/control_files/postal(AIX or Linux) or
C:\aiw\aiw1\control_files\postal(Windows) directory replace a PostNet barcode with a Datamatrix barcode that identifies the job number and document number:
This control file also replaces any addresses for which the postal software returned updated address data.
This control file also adds an Intelligent Mail barcode.
- Click RICOH ProcessDirector server in a directory that the RICOH ProcessDirector system user has access to. to export the Enhance AFP control file and send it to the Note: When you configure your Postal Enablement workflows, specify the name of the Enhance AFP control file in the step based on the BuildAFPFromDocuments step template.