Adding steps to decrypt PDF files
When you encrypt a PDF file, you can specify one or two passwords. The Owner password is the master password. It completely unlocks the file, so the recipient can read it, fill in form fields, and even edit the contents of the file. Ricoh ProcessDirector steps need the level of access provided by the Owner password when they process jobs, because they often make changes to those PDF files.
The User password is a more limited password. It unlocks the file so that it can be read, but not edited in any way.
If the file does not contain secure information, you can encrypt it so that it can be opened without a password, but require the Owner password for editing functions.
To add steps to decrypt PDF files:
- Click the Workflow tab.
- Click the name of the workflow you want to modify.
- Disable the workflow by clicking the switch to the left of the workflow name. If you do not disable the workflow while you edit it, jobs that use this workflow continue to move through steps. When you save, the workflow is momentarily disabled then enabled again. Jobs that are processing in the workflow could move into error.
- Add a step based on the DecryptPDF step template to process the encrypted PDF files.Make sure to add the step before the first step in the workflow that needs to open the PDF file to prevent any processing errors. Most workflow steps cannot process encrypted PDF files.
- Enter the Owner password that was used when the PDF file was encrypted. If the password changes with every job, you must provide a way for the operator to enter the password for each job. You can add a manual step to the workflow before the DecryptPDF step and give it a name like EnterOwnerPassword. During processing, the job stops at that step. The operator can open the job property notebook and enter the Owner password in the Enhance PDF tab. Then the operator can complete the manual step so the password is available when the DecryptPDF step runs.
- Verify the location of the output file. By default, the decrypted PDF file becomes the print file in the spool directory of the job.
- Save and enable the workflow.