Viewing and changing page exceptions
The Page exceptions action shows media, finishing, or sides pages exceptions even if the PrintJobs step is not in the workflow that is processing the job.
Media and stapling values for page exceptions are applied only to PDF jobs sent to Ricoh PDF, Custom PDF, or Ricoh TotalFlow, printers. Sides page exceptions are applied to PDF jobs sent to Ricoh PDF, Custom PDF, Ricoh TotalFlow, Kodak, and Xerox printers. Some printer control units do not support Sides page exceptions in JDF job tickets.
Only media and sides page exceptions are applied to jobs sent to Kodak PDF printers and Xerox PDF printers. Stapling page exceptions are not supported for these printers.
If you have the Preprinted Forms Replacement feature:
- Ricoh ProcessDirector combines electronic forms with page data when the CombinePDFWithForm step processes the job. After the job goes to the next step in the workflow, changes
to media have no effect on electronic forms. Examples:
- After the job goes through the CombinePDFWithForm step, you change a page exception from Letter Yellow media to Form100 media with electronic forms. The Page Exception dialog includes Form100 media, but the electronic forms for Form100 media are not combined with the page data.
- After the job goes through the CombinePDFWithForm step, you change a page exception from Form200 media with electronic forms to A4 Plain media. The Page Exception dialog includes A4 Plain media, but the page data is printed with the electronic forms for Form200 media.
- The CombineAFPWithForm step ignores any values set for the media page exceptions on the Page Exception dialog.
- In the Jobs table, right-click the job that you want to work with and select Page Exceptions.
The Media property shows the media for the job, and the Staple property shows whether the job has stapling instructions. The Duplex property shows the job setting for what sides to print on. The Page range column shows the pages that each exception applies to. The Paper substitution column shows media exceptions, and the Subset finishing column shows stapling exceptions. The Sides column shows exceptions to the duplex setting.
- To add a media, staple or sides page exception, click Add ( ).
- Type the pages that you want for the Page range.
- Use a hyphen to separate the first and last pages of a range.
- Use a comma to separate page selections.
- If the job has a value in the Total Pages property, type n to specify the last page in the job.
- To compute the total pages for a job, add a step based on the CountPages step template to the job workflow.
- Select a media option on the Paper substitution list, a stapling option on the Subset finishing list, or a duplex option on the Sides list.
- Click OK.
- To change a page exception, right-click the page range that you want to edit and select
Properties. Adjust the values as needed and click OK.
To delete a page exception, right-click the page range that you want to edit and select Delete. You see a confirmation message. Click OK.
- To replace one media, duplex or finishing option specified in all page exceptions
for a job with another media, duplex or finishing option (for example, to replace
A4 gold paper with A4 yellow paper):
- Click Update all ( ).
- Select the media, duplex or finishing option that you want to replace and the replacement option.
- Click OK.
New stapling page exceptions replace stapling instructions that overlap an existing page in the exception. For example, a page exception specifies two staples at the bottom of pages 2–5. You add an exception that specifies one staple at the upper left corner of pages 1-4. Ricoh ProcessDirector removes the exception for two staples at the bottom of pages 2-5. The new exception for pages 1-4 remains.
If you add a stapling page exception to a job that specifies stapling for the entire job, Ricoh ProcessDirector removes the job-level stapling and honors the page exception.
If you want to staple an entire job that has stapling page exceptions, you must delete the page exceptions before you set stapling for the job.
New sides page exceptions only replace duplex instructions that overlap existing pages in the exception. For example, a job specifies tumble duplex. You add an exception for simplex on the first page. Ricoh ProcessDirector specifies tumble duplex for all pages except page 1.