A workflow consists of:
- Steps grouped in phases
- Step chains made up of connected steps
- Connectors between steps and step chains
To add a step, click Step Templates in the top right corner of the window to open the list of available step templates. Click a step template and drag it into the workflow editor. Place the step where you want it.
To add a step chain, click Step Chains in the top right corner of the window to open the list of available step chains. Click a step chain and drag it into the workflow editor. Place the step chain where you want it.
You can resize phases to fit more steps and step chains. Hover over the right end of the phase until the cursor changes then click and drag the phase bar until the phase is big enough for your needs.
- If you place the new step or step chain over a connector, you must delete the connector, and reconnect the two steps that were previously joined by the connector to the new step or step chain.
To add a connector between steps or step chains:
- Hover over the edge of the step or step chain. Click and hold a highlighted section () to make the connector appear.
- Drag the connector onto the step or step chain that you want the step or step chain to connect to. Wait until a section of the step or step chain is highlighted, and release the mouse button. You can attach the connector to the top, bottom, or either side of the step or step chain.
If the step or step chain has more than one outbound connector, it is important to specify the conditions that determine which connector to evaluate first. The evaluation is done with rules set on the connector. To associate a rule with a connector:
- Right-click the connector and select Properties.
- Specify a conditional processing rule for the connector.
- Specify the Order of execution property value so that the conditions for the rule are tested in the correct order. If a step or step chain is connected to three different steps or step chains, Ricoh ProcessDirector first attempts to send each job through the connector with an Order of execution value of 1. If a job does not meet the conditions for that connector, Ricoh ProcessDirector attempts to send the job through the connector with an Order of execution value of 2. If a job does not meet those conditions either, Ricoh ProcessDirector attempts to send the job through the next connector in the execution order and so on. The order is shown in a dot next to the rule name on the connector label.
Step chains must have one entry point, a single step at the beginning of the step chain that all jobs process through. They can, however, have multiple endpoints, or steps with no outbound connector. When a step chain is placed in a workflow, it might be connected to one or more steps for jobs both entering and exiting the step chain. If the step chain has multiple endpoints, all of the end points continue processing following the outbound connector. If there are multiple outbound connectors, each endpoint is evaluated against the connectors following the order of execution and the job proceeds down the correct path.
To change any other properties for a step, step chain, or connector, right-click it and select Properties.
To change the order of the steps or step chains, drag a step or step chain to a new position. The connectors reposition themselves as the step or step chain moves.
To delete a step, step chain, or connector, right-click it and select Delete. Deleting a step or step chain that is connected to other steps or step chains also deletes the connectors.
To undo actions, right-click on the workflow editor and select Undo one or more times.
To reverse an Undo action, right-click on the workflow editor and select Redo one or more times.
To search the Workflow Editor for a specific step or step chain, click the Search () in the top right corner and enter the step or step chain name in the search field that appears.
- When you search in a workflow for a step, steps inside step chains are not shown. You can open a step chain and search for a step inside it.
To reposition the workflow in the window, click the left mouse button and drag until you see the part of the workflow you want to work with or click the Map () icon. In the Map window, a rectangle shows what part of the workflow is currently displayed.
To zoom in and out, click and drag the circle in the lower right corner of the rectangle, use the mouse wheel, or the Ctrl + and Ctrl - keys. Click and drag the rectangle to show different parts of the workflow. Click and drag the top of the Map window to move it to a different location on the screen. Click and drag the top right corner of the Map window to resize it. To restore the Map window to its default size, right-click on the workflow editor and select Zoom to 100% . To restore the Map window to its default size and location, click Reset in the Map window.
To save the workflow, right-click on the workflow editor and select Save workflow or Save workflow as.
- Saving the workflow does not check for missing required properties or connections. You can save the workflow, do other work in Ricoh ProcessDirector , and return to complete your workflow later.
When you are ready to use the workflow, enable it by clicking the Enable switch () to the left of the workflow. Ricoh ProcessDirector validates the workflow when you enable it. If any steps or step chains are not connected properly, Ricoh ProcessDirector issues a message.