Limiting Filters to Specific Values with Background Filters
This function is useful when viewers require only specific data and would need to search through a long list of fields or when you do not want to expose all the data for security purposes.
For example, if a simple list filter initially includes a list of 10 locations, you can limit the filter to include only 5 specified locations. Viewers can see only these 5 locations when they set the filter.
For a ranking filter that requires only the top 5 locations based on the number of printers to be included in the list, viewers can still see only 5 locations. However, the list of locations changes as the number of printers changes.
- Click , the Dashboards tab, and select a dashboard from the list.
- Click , the Toggle filters button, on the dashboard heading.
- In the Filters panel, create a background filter using one of these methods:
- For a filter without selected values, click , the Options button, select Create Background Filter, configure the filter settings, and click OK.
- For a filter that already has specific values selected, click , the Options button, and select Set as Background Filter.
The background filter is marked with a filter icon. The filter icon is not visible to viewers.
- To edit a background filter:
- Click , the Options button, and select Edit Background Filter.
- Update the filter settings and click OK.
- To remove a background filter, click , the Options button, and select Remove Background Filter.