Printing through the IPP Gateway
Note: The Windows system comes with IPP client software built in. Users on other Windows platforms can download IPP client software. The Printer Working Group, the organization that is leading the development of IPP, provides a list of IPP client software that you can use to find an appropriate client at:
Once you have an IPP client installed, to set up the gateway:
- Enable the IPP Gateway using the InfoPrint Manager Management Console. For more information about completing this task, see the Management Console online help .
- The IPP Gateway runs as a Windows service called InfoPrint Manager IPP Gateway. On the Windows system, the IPP Gateway
is not set to start automatically by default. For information about changing the default
settings, see the Management Console online help.
Note: Selecting this box does not start the IPP Gateway Service immediately. You must either restart the system that the InfoPrint Manager server is installed on or start the service from the Windows Control Panel.
- To start the IPP Gateway service from the Windows Control Panel:
- Navigate to the Control Panel and click Administrative Tools.
- In Administrative Tools, click Services.
- In Services, highlight InfoPrint Manager IPP Gateway, and then select Action → Start.
- The IPP Gateway runs as a Windows service called InfoPrint Manager IPP Gateway. On the Windows system, the IPP Gateway is not set to start automatically by default. For information about changing the default settings, see the Management Console online help.
- Verify that the gateway is working. Open your Internet browser and enter this web
address, replacing serverhostname with the DNS hostname of the system that InfoPrint Manager is installed on:
http://serverhostname:631/printersNote: If you do not have a DNS name server running on your network, replace serverhostname with the dotted-decimal IP address of the system that InfoPrint Manager is installed on instead.If the gateway is working correctly, you will see a list of the printers that are available through the gateway. All of your InfoPrint destinations should be listed. Find the address (URI) of the destination you want your users to print to.
- Refer your users to http://www.pwg.org/ipp/. This step varies depending on which IPP client you are using; follow the instructions for adding a printer as provided by the IPP client. For the printer address, have your users enter the address that you found in step 2.