Installing and Configuring the Update Server on a Linux system
InfoPrint Manager lets you configure an automatic updating environment for the client systems. The updating environment consists of two main components: the update server and the client system configuration. When an update server is configured, all the client machines can connect to the update server to install the available updates. Setting up an automatic update system allows all systems to be up to date with the latest patches.Before starting to configure the update server settings, you need to install the update server.
- Insert the InfoPrint Manager for Windows Common Clients DVD-ROM into your DVD-ROM drive.
- Install ipr-ipmupdateserver-nn.nn.nn-nn.x86_64.rpm to install the update server, where nn.nn.nn-nn is the version number.
To configure the update server settings:
- Go to the installation directory for the update server.Note: InfoPrint Manager Update Server configuration directory is
- Open the
ipm_updateserver.cfgfile using a text editor to change the parameters.
- Specifies the location of all product kits, file updates and registry updates that can be automatically downloaded and installed by client machines.
- Specifies the port on which the update server communicates with the update client. The specified port must be opened in the firewall on both server and client machines. For the server machines, the port number must be configured in the incoming section. For the client machines, the port number must be configured in the outgoing section. The default port number is 10000.
- Specifies the time interval in seconds that passes between two subsequent checks for new product updates by the automatic update client machines that communicate with this automatic update server machine. The default interval is 84600 seconds.
- Specifies how many times the user on the client machine can postpone a product installation or update (0 means unlimited number of postpones). Once the product installation postponing number has been exceeded, the update will be silently installed. During the silent install, InfoPrint Select is not available until installation ends. The default value is 0.
- Products Order
- Specifies the update order of listed products. Product updates order priority is separated by comma. The first product in the list has the highest priority.
[Global Settings] product-path=/etc/ipmupdateserver/ipm_updateserver.cfg #the port on which the update server listens to. listen-port=10000 #the time between the update client checks for updates on the update server machine. client-check-for-updates-interval=84600 #0 means infinite number-postpones-by-user=0 #product installation order Products Order = InfoPrint Select, InfoPrint Manager PDF Driver
- Restart InfoPrint Manager Update Service for configuration settings to take effect.
- Create one ore more DNS entries to provide the automatic update service to client
- Record Type
- Service Location (SRV)
- A number between 0 and 65535 that indicates the priority for the host that is specified in Host offering this service. The host with the lowest preference number have a higher priority. The host with the highest preference number have a lower priority.
- Not used. Use 0.
- Port Number
- It must be identical to listen-port from ipm_updateserver.cfg
- Host Offering this Service
- IP address of the update server.