Installing AFP2PDF Plus Transform
AFP2PDF Plus Transform Architecture
Since the new AFP2PDF Plus for JAVA Transform is designed to integrate with existing AFP2PDF installations, it has both client and server functions.
The transform client is a C/C++ command-line program that has parameters identical to the current AFP2PDF Transform.
The transform server is JAVA-based and performs various functions:
- Accepts requests from the transform client for document conversion
- Keeps the JAVA Virtual Machine (JVM) active without starting and stopping after each conversion
- Spawns a thread for each document to be converted, taking advantage of multi-core processors
Software requirements for the AFP2PDF Plus Transform:
Transform client requirements:
- IBM AIX 7.1 or later
- IBM z/OS UNIX System Services V1.13 or later
- Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Standard
- Linux Kernel 2.6.18 or later (x86) with Fontconfig package installed.
- Linux Kernel 2.6.09 or later (IBM Z system) with Fontconfig package installed.
Transform server requirements: JAVA V1.8 or later.
End-user client requirements: Adobe Acrobat, Acrobat Reader, or Acrobat Plug-In 9.0 or later.
To run the installer, you need to have at least 350 MB of free space in the operating system temporary directory.
- AFP2PDF Plus does not have any additional CPU requirements in addition to what is
already required to run a supported operating system.
For optimal performance, the number of CPU threads should at least match the number of jobs expected to run simultaneously. Each job is run in a single threaded fashion. Thus, having a higher thread count CPU does not help if running one job at a time, but it helps when running multiple jobs at the same time.
- Minimum of 2 GB available RAM is required.
Depending on the workload, the performance can be improved by using more memory. The maximum amount of memory used by AFP2PDF Plus is configurable through the Java parameter
-Xmxin the afp2pdf.bat and StartAFP2PDFServer.bat files on Windows and afp2pdf.sh and StartAFP2PDFServer.sh on AIX and Linux. For optimal performance, we recommend setting the maximum memory to at least twice the size of the combined inputs of jobs expected to run at any given time, including external resources. So for example, if in the server mode, the maximum load is 10 jobs running concomitantly with an average size of 200 MB of inputs per job, the recommended value is 4 GB.
- Minimum 450 MB available space for installation:
- 100 MB available hard disk space.
- 350 MB available for the operating system temporary file.
The data consisted of resources, inputs, and outputs used by AFP2PDF Plus takes more hard disk space than the AFP2PDF Plus application itself.