Replacing POSTNET barcodes with IMBs
POSTNET barcodes can be in a fixed location in the AFP file or, in the case of a multiple line address, they might float between lines. You can select the actual location of the POSTNET barcode that you want replaced, or you can select an area in which you think the barcode is located.
AFP Editor can automatically place the IMBs in exactly the same position as the POSTNET barcodes they replace. The position of the POSTNET barcodes can vary slightly in different page groups. The position of any POSTNET barcode can be up to .4 inches or 10 millimeters higher or lower than the position of the particular POSTNET barcode that you replaced in the sample AFP file. (This allows for variations in the position of the POSTNET barcode in different page groups because of variable length addresses.)
If you do not want to place the IMBs in the same position as the POSTNET barcodes they replace, you can specify a new position for the IMBs. If you specify a new position, AFP Editor places all IMBs in the exact position that you specify.
To determine the new position of the IMBs, work from a copy of the sample AFP file printed on the production printer. Measure where you want to place the top-left corner of the barcode area (X and Y positions) on the printed page from the top-left corner of the logical page.
- In AFP Visual Environment you can display measurement units in inches or millimeters. To change the measurement unit, click .
To place the IMB in the same position as the Address Change Service (ACS) data and PLANET barcode, use AFP Editor to create a hidden area to cover the ACS data and PLANET barcode before you replace the POSTNET barcode.
- You can replace POSTNET barcodes that are on logical pages in the AFP file. However, you cannot replace POSTNET barcodes that are part of page segments or overlays.
- In AFP Visual Environment, open a sample AFP file.
- If the file does not contain page groups, use AFP Indexer to create page groups.
- Click .
- Navigate to the page that contains one of the POSTNET barcodes.
- Optional: To place the IMB in the same position as a PLANET barcode, create a hidden area that covers the PLANET barcode and any other data that you do not want to print, such as ACS data.
- Do one of these:
- Select the POSTNET barcode.
- Position your cursor at a corner of the area that contains the POSTNET barcode. While pressing the left mouse button, draw a box that includes the barcode.
- Right-click anywhere in the AFP file and then click Replace POSTNET with IMB.
If you do not see the Replace POSTNET with IMB option and the POSTNET barcode is a text barcode, identify the directory that contains the POSTNET font to AFP Visual Environment ( ). If you still do not see the Replace POSTNET with IMB option, try changing the default code page to another code page ( ).
If you see an error message instead of the Replace Barcode window, AFP Editor could not find any POSTNET data in the area you selected.
- On the Type tab, type a descriptive name for the IMB and specify the representation of the IMB.See Type tab for IMBs for a description of the fields.
- On the Data tab, specify the data to be encoded in the IMB symbol.See Data tab for IMBs for a description of the fields.
- Optional: On the Position tab, change the origin of the barcode area or the orientation of the barcode symbol
within the area. You can also change on which pages to place the barcode in each page
group.See Position tab for IMBs for a description of the fields.
- Click OK. If you have more than one barcode defined, you might see the Create Conditions between Definitions window. Click Yes if you want to create a condition for determining which barcode is used, and then click OK.
You see the IMB in the AFP file.
- If the IMB is a text barcode and you do not see the barcode symbol, identify the
resource directory that contains the AFP IMB font to AFP Visual Environment ( ). The AFP IMB font (character set C0XMUS23) is installed in the
- If the IMB is a text barcode and you do not see the barcode symbol, identify the resource directory that contains the AFP IMB font to AFP Visual Environment ( ). The AFP IMB font (character set C0XMUS23) is installed in the
- If you see an error message, the barcode is not created in any page group. In addition, no other barcodes, hidden areas, or text masks are created. If the Replace Barcode window is open, correct the barcode properties. If the Replace
Barcode window is already closed, click to correct the properties. (In the Modify and Delete Definitions window, identifies the barcode with the error.)If you included index tag values in the barcode data and the error message indicates that barcode data is too long or contains characters that are not valid, you might need to modify the index tag to correct the problem.