Activating the Adobe PDF Print Engine conversion program
You can use either the Adobe PDF Print Engine (APPE) or Configurable PostScript Interpreter (CPSI) conversion program to transform PDF data to AFP.
- If your primary server runs Red Hat 6.x or SLES 11, use CPSI to convert PDF data. APPE is not supported on those operating systems.
We recommend using APPE for these reasons:
- Direct conversion of PDF data to AFP.
CPSI first converts PDF data to PostScript, and then converts PostScript data to AFP.
- Support for modern PDF capabilities such as transparency and drop shadows.
- Better performance for color jobs.
By default, the TransformJobIntoAFP step uses CPSI to convert PDF data to AFP.
To activate the Adobe PDF Print Engine conversion program:
- Click the Workflow tab.
- Click the name of a workflow that includes the TransformJobIntoAFP step.
- Optional: Disable the workflow by clicking the switch to the left of the workflow name.If you do not disable the workflow while you edit it, jobs that use this workflow continue to move through steps. When you save, the workflow is momentarily disabled then enabled again. Jobs that are processing in the workflow could move into error.
- Click the name of the workflow.
- Right-click the TransformJobIntoAFP step and select Properties.
- On the External tab, find the External control file template property.
- Change the value of the property from
prepare_transform_APPE.cfg.Both control files convert PostScript, PCL, and SAP data to AFP.
- Click OK.
- Save and enable the workflow.